We want to share our enthusiasm for a unique upcoming event here in Austin, Texas.
On Sunday, February 12th at 3pm, people from across Central Texas will gather at the AISD Performing Arts Center at Mueller to witness the power of dialogue and youth leadership to move peace forward in the Middle East. Four young women from across the Palestinian/Israeli conflict, brought together through friendship and social action, will discuss their role in becoming leaders advancing peace between Israelis and Palestinians. Join us for Envisioning Peace Through Dialogue: A Conversation Among Young Palestinian and Israeli Women.
Brought to Austin by PTC ally organization, Creativity for Peace and funded by The Michael & Jeanne Klein Foundation, these women will discuss their experiences leading on-the-ground efforts to promote understanding and cooperation. Their combined accomplishments have taken them to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations, UNESCO Young Peace Ambassadors Workshop, the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, as well as cities across the globe.
Featured speakers include
- Sivan Kedem (Zichron Yakov, Israel) – director of one of the only centers in Jaffa to offer Arab and Jewish education, serving Jewish, Muslim and Christian children.
- Dima Khalifa (Um el Fahem, Israel) – volunteer for the Arab Association for Human Rights and fundraiser for Gaza children’s medical bills.
- Mai Shbeta (Wahat al Salam-Neve Shalom, Israel) – human rights attorney who has worked with Global Changemakers, V-Girls, and UNESCO’s Young Peace Ambassadors program.
- Deema Yusuf (Ramallah) – peace studies and international relations scholar currently attending the University of Oregon.
- Q&A facilitated by Creativity for Peace Executive Director, Dottie Indyke
Creativity for Peace is a nonprofit organization dedicated to using innovation to “train young Palestinian and Israeli women to partner as leaders by transforming anger and prejudice to mutual respect, facilitating an understanding of the other and inspiring action to promote equality and peace.” You can learn more about their work here.
Peace Through Commerce’s own work has focused on unique opportunities to foster entrepreneurial partnerships between Palestinian and Israeli women. We have participated in collaborative efforts with Together Beyond Words in California, New York, Alabama, Texas, Israel and the West Bank since 2009. Together Beyond Words is an organization in Israel that has worked with Israeli and Palestinian Women since 2003. Our work with women in this important area of the world continues and we look forward to sharing more updates with you.
For more information about this Austin-based event contact Michael Klein at [email protected] or visit: http://creativityforpeace.com/news-3/